Hawks Heroes programme
What did we do?
- 20 x 2-hour football training sessions delivered by VYD’s Kevin Green
- 3 friendly matches against Montpelier Villa U18s team, 2nd team and Veterans.
How did we track change?
What did difference did Hawk’s Heroes make?
- 74% were overweight or obese – total team weight 168 stone 11 pounds (1072kg)
- 78% had a heart age that was older than their age in years.
- The combined actual age of all participants was 782 years and their combined heart age was 814 years, a difference of 32 years.
- 40% rated ‘Red’ and 26% rated ‘Amber’ health category
- 48% rated their mood 5 or below on a scale of 1-10 (1=very sad and down, 5=in the middle, not happy and not sad, 10=extremely happy)
- 52% rated their level of social connection 5 or below on a scale of 1-10 (1=I do not see anyone regularly, 5=I sometimes see people but would like to see them more frequently, 10=I see a lot of my friends and family)
In the final training session 17 participants completed a post-programme questionnaire and provided basic health data.
Quality of the programme
- 100% of participants rated their enjoyment of the programme a 9 or 10.
- 100% rated the quality of the coaching between 8-10.
- 100% rated the quality of the support they received from staff 9 or 10.
- The groups hearts were 8 years younger at the end of the programme than they were at the start.
- Average 16.5% improvement in beep test scores – the biggest improvement was 55%.
- 100% rated their mood between 8 or above when at the start 48% rated their mood 5 or below.
- 100% rated their level of social connection 7 or above when at the start 52% rated their level of social connection 5 or below.
- 100% of participants either Agreed or Strongly Agreed that participating in Hawk’s Heroes made them fitter, stronger, sleep better, cope better with negative emotions, reduce health harming behaviours (such as smoking and drinking) and made them feel less stressed.
- 1 participant’s life was saved
Comments from participants from interviews.
Traineeships in Football
We work in partnership with GBMET College and deliver Traineeships for young people aged 19+ who are either out of work or need to retake their GCSEs. Through this scheme, they not only retake subjects but also , but take their level 1 Btec in sport as well as gaining their level 1 in football through VYD’s partner club, Montpelier Villa FC.
We provide Traineeships in football which includes workplace and mentoring opportunities in coaching and playing football and through education, delivered in collaboration with GBMET college.
The local community benefits from us providing expertise in football coaching and mentoring as well as business, marketing and football administration. Access to these opportunities and skills, enables this community to gain confidence, learn new skills such as communication and teamwork and learn about how to run and market a football club.
At the end of the placement, they will have nationally recognised qualifications, including their FA level 1 coaching badge, meaning they can seek paid employment as qualified football coaches along with their studies and outcomes achieved with the college. They can also then move into the Player Development Centre that VYD manage, to enhance their coaching skills and continue their football education.
Player Development Centre
Montpelier Villa FC’s Player Development Centre is a fresh new approach to youth football development in Sussex – and England.
With a new lead professional academy coach, Kevin Green from Zona Football joining the club and the new 3G with stand and lights at Falmer Sports Complex, it has allowed the club to take a look at how the coaching is executed right across the club with a view to feeding into the u18s and, ultimately, the first team, both of whom are in the Southern Combination League.
The PDC provides many benefits to Villa players, parents and members, below we list just a few of the main highlights:
- At least two training sessions per week and league matches at weekends – one extra session a week with Kevin
- Structured individual learning plans for each player monitored by Kevin with the managers
- Cohesive playing philosophy and coaching plan for all teams running through the club
- Fun, safe, engaging and high quality environment for players to develop their footballing skills